Friday, September 21, 2007

Larry Cuban and Personal Response Systems

Last evening, I mentioned that I was reading Larry Cuban's book "Oversold and Underused" to a colleague. We began talking about all the innovations that never made it to the mainstream, and in the course of our conversation, I mentioned the clickers that Stanford had installed in lecture halls. (Cuban maintained that they were poorly used and are now just a curiousity.) Imagine my surprise when my colleague told me that UBC is currently using them in lecture halls. He said he was speaking to a former high school student who complained about having to buy a PRS (about $50) so she could use it in class to respond to questions and participate in mini-polls. I did a little googling, and lo and behold, it's true! Click here for more on this.